21.8.08

A matter of self-image

Self-image can be a thorny issue for an individual. It can surely make or break a person. When I was a young adult, I always seemed to have this issue of self-image, as if the world were looking at you like a weirdo. Yes, I am non conformative in nature and I did things my own way, often to the chagrin of the family. That is when self-image problem set in, "am I so weird in the eyes of all of you?", or, "i don't have good pals because i am weird."


Somehow, I know this can't go on if I want to be in the "mainstream". I began to self-improve. Gradually I saw some positive changes in me and overall self-confidence returned and I viewed myself as less critical.

However, small pieces of the old me still exist and surface from time to time, especially when there is stress in life and and I cannot help it. It's all in my genes I guess. Do not blame me!

The worst thing I have a problem with, is that I have a really hard time seeing a pictures of myself or seeing myself on TV, for whatever reason who will know. Its like as soon as I see myself, I feel completely flatted out. I used to have a problem looking in the mirror, but lately I have learned to overcome that years ago. Besides, Guys all need a mirror for shaving, aren't they?

Now here is what I cannot figure out. I have had members of the opposite sex look at my pictures and their responses have been from "Ugh", to "Wow!" So, short of having a hundred supermodels come up to me to tell me I am gorgeous, (which may not even work, although I would be extremely flattered), is there any way I can learn to accept who I am physically while at the same time work on looking my best?

No comments: