11.6.09

Savour those good moments

Not too many months ago, my wife and I travelled south to my parents-in-law's home for a weekend visit. Her mother is a great cook and her passion is to dish up those artistically arranged meals for us. She says she feels great joy when people are liking her food. us. Invariably when 20 minutes later we were happily full she would lament, "It took me 3 days to prepare and 20 minutes for you to eat it!"

She looked at me as if anticipating some answers. I needed a reply quickly and told her we'd wash up the dishes later. My point is that we are all so used to rushing through life that it is impossible for us to sit back, relax and savour our meal. The sad thing is that the only one who noticed was the person who cooked the meal. Everyone else just looked at her with a quizzical look.

Later on, I learn that we need to savour the goodness of each living moments with heart. Next time when you eat chocolate, unwrap it and eat it very slowly, just to make sure to really taste each bite. My point was that a small amount of something sweet could be very satisfying if we spent some time to really savour it. Feel the taste!

Many of us (me included) spend time with family and friends but don't really appreciate the joy of the moment. Time goes by in a blur and we get so caught up in activities that there is no time for reflection and really savouring the whole experience.

It is the little moments in life that memories are made of. Finding ways to make an experience joyful for yourself is important. Savour the moments and truly enjoy where you are. Consciously think about taking a picture with your mind's eye to preserve in your memory for the future!

No comments: