30.6.09

Changing for the better

When I was young and growing up, dad always told me I had been born unlucky into his family and as his son. He was a poor dad that always struggled and life seemed to be always bad after each corner.

That carried a lot of weight in my psyche and kept me "in my place" so to speak. I came to believe that nice things were just not for me, but for Jones' who lived a couple of yards down. I would "wow" whenever dad's rickety car bypassed their grand house... So there are other statements many of us grew up with that formed our belief system concerning money.

Sayings like "Filthy papers", "Money doesn't grow on trees", "Money is the root of all evil" or "If you have your health and love, you don't need money".

You get the idea, and I am sure you can recall statements that you grew up with. Those statements formed our beliefs and led to the thoughts we have about money. Once you identify your own thoughts about money, you need to consider whether or not the belief system you have followed is true or not. For example, just because you have your health and love does not mean you don't also need money. Try going to your bank and depositing some love.

With no disrespect to my dad, I realise that his criticism is one of the fastest ways to destroy his own potential success and prosperity that might be coming after all as he did work hard for our family.

Now, for whatever it takes, I do my best to stay in a positive mental state. You can't change your family, but you may need to have a conversation with those closest to you to let them know you are making some changes. Be sure to do this gently and in a non-confrontational manner. They may not be supportive at first; however, if you keep pressing on, they may realize life is much better in a positive, peaceful atmosphere.

No comments: